Recorded in Dublin, New York and Los Angeles, Songs of Experience was completed earlier this year with its subject matter influenced by Brendan Kennelly’s* advice to Bono, to “…write as if you’re dead”. The result is a collection of songs in the form of intimate letters to places and people close to the singer’s heart: family, friends, fans and indeed himself.
Songs Of Experience is the companion release to 2014’s ‘Songs Of Innocence’, the two titles drawing inspiration from a collection of poems, Songs of Innocence and Experience, by the 18th century English mystic and poet William Blake.
Produced by Jacknife Lee and Ryan Tedder, with Steve Lillywhite, Andy Barlow and Jolyon Thomas, the album features a cover image by Anton Corbijn of band-members’ teenage children Eli Hewson and Sian Evans.
‘The Blackout’ and ‘You’re The Best Thing About Me’ were the first songs to be made available from the album. ‘You’re The Best Thing About Me’ is the band’s first UK Top 20 airplay record in a decade and has also been remixed by Norwegian superstar DJ and producer Kygo.
*Brendan Kennelly – Irish poet, novelist and Professor Emeritus at Trinity College, Dublin.
- Love Is All We Have Left
- Lights of Home
- You’re The Best Thing About Me
- Get out of Your Own Way
- American Soul
- Summer of love
- Red Flag Day
- The Showman (Little More Better)
- The Little Things That Give You Away
- The Blackout
- Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
- 13 (There is a Light)
+ Bonus tracks as follows:
- Ordinary Love (Extraordinary Mix)
- Book Of Your Heart
- Lights of Home (St Peter’s String Version)
- You’re The Best Thing About Me (U2 vs Kygo)
- 12” x 12” rigid box (numbered).
- 2LP gatefold vinyl – cyan blue vinyl, 16 tracks.
- Deluxe CD, 17 tracks.
- Fold-out poster.
- Songs of Experience Newspaper.
- Download voucher.